About Moffatt & Powell
Moffatt & Powell, a family-owned and independently operated business in South Western Ontario is celebrating 55 years of success. As a RONA partner, Moffatt and Powell draws from a national network carrying a wide range of product in the retail home and renovation market, more financing options, and better customer service. With roots in the lumber and building supplies business, Moffatt and Powell’s traditional strength as a competitive supplier to the new home, farm and industrial market place remains a core commitment.
Moffatt & Powell Limited was a partnership formed in February 1956 by J. Keith Moffatt and Melvin Powell in the village of Watford. The core business was selling lumber, cement and coal. This trade had a sound footing established by Hiram Moffatt (Keith’s father) who had been operating the J.H. Moffatt enterprise at the same location since 1939.
With a staff of four, including the two owners, the business flourished in small business quarters serving the farming and building communities in Lambton County and Sarnia. In November 1960, a new showroom and warehouse facility was constructed at the present location, 494 Front Street in Watford. The Company continued to expand with the opening of a new and larger retail home centre and lumberyard on April 15, 1968, at 540 Albert Street in Strathroy. The successful operation of this Branch funded the third location on Hwy. 8 – east of Mitchell on November 1, 1973.
On January 1982, a merger was concluded between D.M. Powell Limited in Strathroy and Moffatt & Powell Limited. This increased the total number of stores to 5, with the Caradoc Street location in Strathroy and the anticipated opening of a branch at 1290 Trafalgar Street in London. Immediately after the merger, the Goderich and Exeter locations were acquired from the Conklin Home Centre Company.
David Powell purchased the shareholdings of Melvin Powell in Moffatt & Powell Limited and today is the partner of J. Keith Moffatt.
On March 1984, Moffatt & Powell Limited purchased the assets of the Harold Warwick Lumber Company at 126 Tillson Avenue, Tillsonburg. This gave the Company additional geographical coverage. With stores strategically located in and around London, the economic hub of southwestern Ontario, we are well situated to serve the needs of our contractor, farmer, commercial and do-it-yourself (D.I.Y.) customer base.
Business conditions in 1991 resulted in the closure of the Exeter store. The London store lease expired in 1992 and was not renewed. The current Head Office and store location at 1282 Hyde Park Road was opened in 1996. Business conditions in 2001 also resulted in the closure of the Goderich Store.
2010 The Powell family purchased the Moffatt shares in Moffatt & Powell, enabling Nancy Powell Quinn and D’Arcy Quinn to join David Powell in ownership.
August 2010 Moffatt & Powell changed its buying group to RONA and quickly acquired its 6th location -Exeter Rona at 265 Main Street North. Click below to see announcement as written by the London Free Press August, 2010: